CHARACTERS • MORE
|Premiere||November 23, 2008|
|Finale||January 25, 2009|
The Drinky Crow Show is an American animated television series created by Eric Kaplan and Tony Millionaire for Williams Street Productions, based on the comic strip Maakies. The pilot episode aired on Adult Swim on May 13, 2007, as a part of The Night of 1,000 Pilots. The series was picked up for a full season which premiered on November 23, 2008 and ended January 25, 2009 after 11 episodes. The show was not renewed for a second season, and its cancellation was confirmed by a Maakies comic. The show stars Dino Stamatopoulos, creator of Adult Swim's Moral Orel and Frankenhole, as Drinky Crow and David Herman as Uncle Gabby and Captian Maak.
The show centers around Drinky Crow, an alcoholic and a sufferer of depression. Many episodes revolve around his alcoholism, or his attempts to sober up. Drinky works on a ship under the command of Captain Maak, a violent old man, along with Uncle Gabby, an Irish monkey, and Captain's Daughter, who is, as her name suggests, Captain Maak's daughter. Drinky Crow has an on-again, off-again girlfriend named Phoebe Bird, who holds deep feelings for Drinky Crow, but is fed up with his alcoholism. Despite his complicated relationship with Phoebe, Drinky Crow and Uncle Gabby frequently attempt to pick up women.
The show is set in the nineteenth century, where the main characters are constantly at war with the French, who are all alligators, lead by Lieutenant Vronchy. The show features little continuity, as Drinky Crow commits suicide on a regular basis, and Uncle Gabby has had numerous diseases that would have been fatal during the the series' time period.
- Drinky Crow (Voiced by Dino Stamatopoulos) - A desperate, depressed, tormented romantic, suicidal, alcoholic crow.
- Uncle Gabby (Voiced by David Herman) - A drunken, overweight Irish monkey who is only after girls and booze.
- Phoebe Bird (Voiced by Becky Thyre) - Drinky Crow's on-again, off-again, long-suffering sober girlfriend. She used to date a Walrus, but lost interest with him as he kept bringing his work home.
- Captain Maak (Voiced by David Herman) - The brutal, lash-wielding, captain of the boat Drinky Crow and Uncle Gabby work on. He is American.
- Captain's Daughter (Voiced by Becky Thyre) - A flirtatious, barefooted, sadistic, Betty Boop-style character who, like her title, is the captain's daughter. Her real name is never given and the characters refer to her as Captain's Daughter.
- Lieutenant Vronchy (Voiced by Dino Stamatopoulos) - An alligator who also is a naval captain for France.
- Mademmoiselle DeBoursay (Voiced by Pamela Adlon) - The French spy who works for Lieutenant Vronchy. She is able to sneak in and out mostly by seducing Uncle Gabby.
- Creator: Tony Millionaire, Eric Kaplan
- Dino Stamatopoulos
- David Herman
- Becky Thyre
The show has been released on DVD in the United Kindom. All of the episodes (Except the pilot) are available on iTunes. Also, all 11 episodes are currently on Adult Swim Video.